I am not an expert on mind and body but I can certainly describe myself as a connoisseur. I have done my share of yoga, meditation, prayer and even visualization. These practices are amazing and when weaved into life, have an amazing impact on our well being. I will continue to explore yoga and meditation as I do feel they are invaluable mind/body tools. However, for me personally I have found that I do not meditate as well when still and can sometimes try to hard in yoga. Instead my mind-body practice involves Tai Chi, Chi Gong and the artful side of Kung Fu. I find myself gravitating towards these styles of mind-body arts because they demand a slightly different focus, memory skill, attention to detail, athleticism, yet still remain vastly different from the endurance sports I partake in. I am always thankful for content and grounded I feel after I complete one of my forms.
Benefits of Mind-Body:
- Stress reliever.
- Increase our ability to be present and get the most out of every moment.
- Lower resting and exercise Heart Rate because of increased parasympathetic tone associated with moving in a relaxed state.
- Improved breathing mechanics and function.
- Injury prevention through mindful and healthy movement and energy work.
- Decreased inflammation through reducing natural hormone and stress responses.
- Improved energy and connection with the environment.
- Enhanced tools for dealing with adversity.